Sunday, October 12, 2008

Fall in New England

Fall in New England - there is a bit of a chill in the air, the leaves are putting on their autumnal show, apple orchards are bursting with fruit, and our thoughts turn to… alpacas! I kid you not.

We spent a good part of Sunday at the AlpacaFest hosted by Southwinds Farm. Alpacas are camelids, which makes them relatives of camels, dromedaries, llamas, vicuñas, and guanacos. Alpacas are valued for their wool. Their wool is exceptionally soft. Not only that, but they are beautiful animals.

This is a photo of Turtle Pond, which is in walking distance of my home. The trees are turning, and it's starting to look like Fall...



Pictures of the alpacas:













While I enjoy Fall, it's my second favorite season. I prefer Spring. Possibly because I like to garden; possibly because winter is over; possibly because I was born in the Spring.

Qwill's Qwestion: Any non-native animals near where you live? or What's your favorite season and why?

11 comments:

  1. I love both Autumn and Spring :)

    That first picture you have up is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure there are all sorts of non-native animals around here, LOL. We also don't get much of a spring or fall - it goes from hot to cold. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I'll be taking more pictures of Turtle Pond soon. More of the trees have turned color.

    No Spring or Fall? That's what I didn't like about living in the Caribbean - it went from hot to hotter to hurricanes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wanna go hooommmmmmmmmeeeeee! LOL

    Awesome pics, darlin' :)

    DC :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spring is beautiful because of all the flowers blooming, and I love Fall because of all the beautiful colors we see in the changing of the leaves, but Summer will always be my favorite season. I love being able to wear shorts, flip flops, and tank tops. I love the long days and warm summer nights. And I love going places and spending as much time as I want outside!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Dakota! If I get a chance I'll be taking more Fall photos soon.

    Thanks for stopping by, Brandy. I like your way of spending Summer!! I do miss all of that daylight now that the sun is setting so much earlier (and getting up so much later).

    ReplyDelete
  7. My birthday is in late December and I love all the holiday decorations, but I think summer is my favorite season. Although I do love decorating for fall too. I guess the only season I don't necessarily care for is spring. Don't know why.

    I live between Cincinnati and Dayton and there's a guy who has buffalo.

    Funny thing that happened while reading your blog, I had just opened it up when Reba's "When Whoever's in New England's Through with You" came on my music mixer. How coincidental is that?!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think summer is my favorite, hate the cold. I must say I do miss changing seasons. Houston doesnt really have a nice fall.

    Love your pics, and love that you live close to a lake. And the name is priceless (big turtle fan here lol)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know anything about the local animals here in KY. LOL

    But spring and fall are my favorite times of year. Probably fall is number one.

    Great pictures, those furry critters are too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I usually prefer Spring. I know that our winters aren't long (aka mud season) but I get sick of bundling up and no sunlight very quickly.

    As far as non-native animals; do invasives count? 'Cause I'd really like to get rid of the starlings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are alpacas about 3 miles from here, but visitors aren't encouraged. *sigh*
    Not looking forward to winter when we have to wear 'real' shoes and tops with sleeves. I'm just a warm weather person and it may get cool enough one night this weekend for us to crank up the fireplace.

    ReplyDelete