Sunday, July 21, 2013

Melanie's Week in Review - July 21, 2013




Another week has gone by in the UK's first real summer since 2008.  Yes, we have actually had consecutive days of super warm weather. I did feel a little bit like a ice cream walking to the tube last Monday. I started out with a spring in my step, nice and cool and ended up a hot, sweaty mess when I got on the train. It was sooo hot on the train I thought the heating was on which in turn made reading impossible.

Well, that is the excuse I am going to use this week for only reading 2 books. For those of you who read my Week in Review last week I had just bought The Glass God by Kate Griffin. I think I am going to be reviewing this book so I don't want to give too much away but to share a secret *whispers* go buy it quickly!

I also read both of the new short stories by Michael J. Sullivan - The Crown Tower and The Rose and The Thorn.  They are billed as short stories but they are quite long. I don't really remember the rules on length of short story versus novella but suffice to say they take long enough to read for them to feel like a full fledged book. I will also be reviewing these so not even going to give a hint away.  Sorry!

I started but  not very far into All Men of Genius by Lev AC Rosen. It is a steampunk version of Twelfth Night by none other than William Shakespeare (Bill to his friends). It has started out quite interesting so I have high hopes for it.  Stay tuned until next week when I hope to have finished it.

I am in a tad of a quandry of what to read next. London Underground + 30C = not much concentration. I really need a great book to get me through the tube journey.  Any and all suggestions are gratefully appreciated.

In other bookish news I tweeted Stefan Petrucha to find out when the next installment of the Hessius Mann series was out.  He told me that they are waiting to hear about the movie/TV show.  HOW EXCITING!! If you haven't read either Dead Mann Walking or Dead Mann Running then rush immediately to your local book store or your computer and get buying them. Books that combine social commentary with humour so well are few and far between.  Petrucha quite cleverly mixes themes such as racism, bigotry and social exclusion with a nail biting murder mystery.  I hope that putting these stories on either the big or small screen doesn't change the message (s) that Petrucha is trying to get across.

Well enough hot weather rambling for me. I am off to go out and enjoy the sun.  Until next week Happy Reading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment