Sunday, July 28, 2013

Melanie's Week in Review - July 28, 2013




As some of you might know I read the Riyria Chronicles by Michael J.Sullivan last week.  This got me all nostalgic and I decided to have my very own Riyria reunion. Who better to get back in touch with than Royce and Hadrian. The ultimate good cop, not so bad cop. I started with Theft of Swords this week. I will read the remaining books of the Riyria Revelations over the next few weeks. Reading the 'Chronicles' series has really added a new dimension to the 'Revelations' series. I enjoyed this book again and sure that I will feel the same way about the following books.

In between reading the Chronicles and first of the Revelations I needed something I could read in a day.  I flipped through the Kindle recommendations and it came up with book 9, Lover Unleashed of the Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R Ward. I have read a few but not all of this series. If you have read my 'week in reviews' before you will know that I am especially choosy about what PNR I read. Everyone gives the BDB series such positive reviews so I thought it could be just what I was looking for. I also read quite a few reviews about book 9 and some said that the sex scenes were much tamer than the other books so I thought this would be perfect as an 'inbetweener'. Holy cats is all I can say.  If those sex scenes are tame then I must cloistered...almost nun like. While I will admit PNR isn't my favourite I do like some of it especially where plot prevails over the 'R'. It wasn't the case with this installment which was all hot and steamy from almost chapter 1. What perplexes me about the BDB books is that these are vampires that have been around for 400-500 years but they talk like they have just stepped off the Wire..and not as the cops.  Is saying 'true' part of modern venacular?  If so....stop it immediately. I know people love this series and I am not the biggest fan. I have read several of the books trying to figure it all out. I guess I will have to live with the knowledge that these books are not my cup of tea.

I apologise profusely to all the books I haven't finished this week.  I am dolefully behind but I keep adding more. I haven't finished The Havoc Machine by Steven Harper. I am not sure that I will. I feel quite pathetic but I am totally judging the book by the cover. I cringe every time I look at it and just not engaging with the characters. I have started Broken Elements by Mia Marshall and quite surprised how much I am enjoying it.  I feel bad because I have had this from NetGalley for a few months....in fact ... long enough to get book 2 Shifting Elements from NetGalley too.  I won't even go into the books I got from NetGalley this week!!!!

I am watching Skyfall as I write this and about to hit the big highlight of the plot so better get back to it.  Until next week Happy Reading.

2 comments:

  1. You reminded me I've had Black Dagger Brotherhood series on my reading list forever. I've heard such praise for Ward that it's high time I get to the books. Have a great reading week - and I'm sure your unfinished books forgive you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tanya.

    I hope they do! I will hopefully get to spend some time with them this week!

    Have a good weekend.

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete