Sunday, August 24, 2014

Melanie's Week in Review - August 24, 2014




Happy Bank Holiday weekend to anyone who like me lives in the UK. I am looking forward to the extra day off work. I am hoping that the weather cooperates so that I can enjoy some reading time outside. It is the UK though so highly unlikely I will get to. While I was able to get through a few more books this week I have to admit that I didn't enjoy all the books I read. So what did I read?

I haven't felt particularly productive lately so decided to go for some PNR. I started Dannika Dark's Seven series a few months ago and I discovered book 3 - Five Weeks had been released. In this instalment the love birds Izzy the drifter wolf and new waitress in town and the former rock star Jericho are reunited several years after their friendship ended in disaster. Needless to say the sparks start to fly the moment they come face to face for the first time. Love is never straightforward as misunderstanding and misdirection almost keep the pair apart. This is a HEA series though so no guesses what happens at the end.

While I liked the first book of the series - Seven Years and didn't mind book 2  - Six Months I did not enjoy book 3. I am struggling to find anything to recommend it. I found Izzy to be completely and utterly shallow. She spends more time worry how much to wiggle her hot pants and wink at the customers in the shifter bar she now works in than she does that her boyfriend is a human trafficking, drug dealer. Jericho is pretty bland for a former rock star that destroyed his friendship with Izzy years before with his drug and sex addiction. The action all happens in the first third of the book which made reading the rest of it more of a struggle. I don't like writing a negative review as I can usually find something positive to say about a book even though I may not have enjoyed it. Unfortunately, for Five Weeks this is too difficult.

Clap your hands everyone as I managed to finish The Dark Defiles by Richard K Morgan. This book has taken me WEEKS to read. I was almost hysterical that I wasn't going to get it finished but at last I did it. I will be writing a full review of this book so I don't want to say too much. What I can say though is that Morgan must have invented the word epic as this book puts to the 'e' in epic.

I was having a quick look on NetGalley for something to finish off my week. I came across Unborn by Amber Lynn Natusch. Luckily for me this was a quick read as I very nearly put this book on my DNF shelf. This is the first in the Unborn series. Khara has been ripped from the loving arms of her father Hades in the Underworld and ends up on the harsh streets of Detroit. She was fortunate to be rescued by her brothers who just happen to be a band of super tough guardians who keep the supernatural world in balance. Khara wants nothing more than to go back to her father but there is someone who is determined that she isn't going to get there. It's all up to her undiscovered powers and her new family to keep her from harm.

While I think Izzy from Five Weeks is shallow, the heroine Khara from Unborn is so one dimensional she is like a cardboard cut out. She is completely without emotion and contributed very little to the plot other than to almost get her new family killed several times. Her new brothers are fairly stereotypical - there is a super tough one, a super smart one, a friendly one and of course a bad boy. Again, I have tried to find something positive to say but I am at a loss apart from the cover which is is what drew me to this book in the first place.

That's it for me. I have my fingers crossed that I have a more successful week next week and find books that I enjoy. Until then Happy Reading


0 comments:

Post a Comment