Sunday, October 05, 2014

Melanie's Week in Review - October 5th, 2014





Hello everyone! I had a better week this week and finished 3 books, although by the skin of my teeth. I thought I had better not disappoint either you or me by only reading one book so I put Mirror Empire to one side. So what did I read?

Look what magically popped onto my Kindle! New Order is the second in Helen Harper's Bo Blackman series. If you read my WIR a few weeks ago you will remember that I came across this series a bit by accident but had read Harper's Blood Destiny series. In book 2 Bo still hasn't come to terms with being a vampire and is desperately searching for the elusive cure. She gets herself embroiled a black vs white witch feud and pharmaceutical company that is making money by patenting spells while at the same time trying to solve a missing persons case. I think Harper must be channeling the saying - what a tangled web we weave - as her missing persons case, the witches and the cure are all tangled together. Needless to say she is also kept busy by trying not to be attracted (and failing) to her maker, the hotty Lord Montserrat.

I was a tad disappointed by New Order as Harper is just re-writing Bo as her dragon changeling Mac from her previous series. The heroines' in both series are very similar so it seems a bit of a re-hash. I haven't decided whether I will continue with the series or not. I generally like Harper's characters and I always enjoy reading books set in London but Bo spends so much time doing the opposite of anything that makes common sense. So much so that you want to reach inside the book and give her a ginormous slap. Fantastic cover though!

I then turned to my TBR for a book I have had for absolute AGES but haven't really made any attempt to read, The Inexplicables by Cherie Priest. This is the fourth in her Clockwork Century series. I have read book 1, Boneshaker and was given this book but haven't read the others. I have never really been able to figure out what the 'clockwork'/steampunk element of this series was as it always seems more dystopian or alternative history to me. I quite liked Boneshaker but The Inexplicables was quite dull. I can't put my finger on it as lots of 'stuff' happened but it just was.

I have been looking for weeks to find The Winter Long by Seanan McGuire in a local bookstore as I resent the fact that Amazon now charge for delivery on books under £10. Unfortunately, I couldn't find it but the Hubinator was also buying a book so there it popped into my virtual basket. This is the 8th book in the October Daye series and I think it is the best one. With rather disastrous results October learns some secrets from her and her mother's past which she rather she didn't know. She also discovers who in her life she can really trust and is disappointed by those in her life that she thought she could. A lot happens in this instalment and there is one or two excellent twists that I wasn't at all expecting. October has also lost her irritating coffee addiction but she barely ate or slept for the whole book. Her romance with Tybalt the King of the Cats is still going strong but the romance does not overtake the action but rather, compliments it quite well. Overall, a great book and a great ending to my week.

That is it for me for this week. You may not hear from me for a couple of weeks as I am heading to Canada for Thanksgiving and it might not be possible for me to post my WIR. Just think of the books I will be able to tell you about though!. Until next time Happy Reading.

0 comments:

Post a Comment