Sunday, November 01, 2015

Melanie's Week in Review - November 1, 2015




Happy 1st of November and a belated Happy Halloween. I love Halloween but barely get enough trick or treaters to get through the 4 bags of candy the hubinator bought to dish out. I am sure to on a week long sugar rush after eating the leftovers. It's a sacrifice that I will just have to suffer through. But you probably want to know what I read this week.  Please note, the unintentional theme in all of the books I read.


I have had a fairly unproductive week this week both in the quantity of books read and my satisfaction in reading them. The hubinator and I went to Amsterdam for a long weekend so I didn't really get that much time to read. One short story I did find while waiting to board the plane was Dragos Goes to Washington by Thea Harrison. This is the first in a three party story that takes place after the events of book 8 Midnight's Kiss. All is not well in the relations between the humans and the supernatural species and Pia and Dragos have to attend a summit in Washington to try to broker a better relationship between all parties. Sounds fairly straightforward until the vice president's husband is murdered in their house. To complicate matters Pia decides to she wants to have another baby and a majority of the book is spent with the couple trying to get pregnant. This short should have an R rating as there is an awful lot of sex described in minute detail. In fact the murder plot and the wider plot of the troubles between the humans and everyone else didn't really feature until 3/4 of the way through. I think I will stick to the main novels going forward as a bit of erotica I don't mind but not interested in it taking over the plot.


Continuing on with the sexy theme I was having a look on NetGalley and discovered that the next book in the Dragon kin series by G.A Aiken.  Feel the Burn centers on the inevitable love story between Gaius Domitus, the one eyed lord who we met in an earlier in the series and Kachka, one of the Daughters of the Steppes. Gaius is determined to seek the revenge of his sister's imprisonment by his relatives and Kachka wants nothing to do with the lazy and pampered lord. Their romance unfolds in the backdrop of the continued war with the god Chramnesind. Every character we have met so far makes an appearance and quite a bit of the story involves Anwyl, the twins and the very powerful young witch Rhi. These regulars combined with the Daughters of the Steppes makes for an amusing read (in parts).

Overall, I thought this book was OK. I certainly enjoyed it more than the previous instalment which involved Kachka's sister - the one eyed Elina and the dragon Ceyln. There is more going in this story than just the romance between the two lead characters and further development of the wider plot arch involving the half dragon/half human twins. This is a quick and easy read with much more in way of both plot and character development.


I also started Raptor which is the 6th book of the Dragon Blood series by Lindsay Buroker. I am not sure I am going to be able to finish though. The main character Cas is sooo whiny and feeling sorry herself that it is making for a rather boring read. I may give it another go this week or it may hit one of my very few DNF.


That is all for me this week. I hope you have had a more enjoyable week in reading. Until next time Happy Reading.

2 comments: